Thursday, August 12, 2021

Murder at the Gallop - After the Funeral

In the early 1960's, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer produced four films featuring Miss Marple, with Margaret Rutherford playing the lead in each film. The four films are, Murder, She Said - Murder at the Gallop - Murder Most Foul - and Murder Ahoy!. These films are only loosely based on Agatha Christie's books.

Murder, She Said is said to be based on 4.50 from Paddington. I'll put that film in the queue for a later date.

I'll also address Murder Most Foul- and Murder Ahoy! later as well. Murder at the Gallop is supposed to be based on Christie's After the Funeral and as I had just finished reading that novel, I went online to OK.RU to watch the film.

I've read that Agatha Christie didn't very often care for the film adaptations of her work - I'm sure that would have been especially true with Murder at the Gallop. I knew it would be disappointing when I had discovered that the film had replaced Hercule Poirot with Miss Marple. That was a big mistake. Very little of the novel's plot remains in the movie......pretty much unrecognizable.

As if to add further insult, Margaret Rutherford was the worst Miss Marple ever to make in to the screen. I have absolutely nothing good to say about Murder at the Gallop. I'm having difficulties imagining how the other 3 films in the series can be any worse. Avoid this film like COVID.

No comments:

Post a Comment