Saturday, October 3, 2020

Little Women

In an earlier post [Evolution of a Word ] I wrote that I had decided to go against a life long prejudice and read a novel which I had avoided reading, in spite of the fact that many consider it a classic in American literature - Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott. I had stayed away from the novel because as G. K. Chesterton put it, the very idea of reading it made me feel like "an intruder in that club of girls."

However, after I began reading it, I felt as even Alcott herself believed - Alcott had sent the first dozen chapters to [her publisher] Niles, and both agreed that they were dull.

The novel we call Little Women today was originally published in two parts. Part One in 1868 with Part Two following New Year's Day, 1869. I'm currently into the second part. I'm committed to finishing both parts, though it will be difficult. Nothing of real interest happens in the book.

I realize that young girls in the Nineteenth Century may have found the book "splendid".....but even Alcott and her publisher were surprised by the book's immediate success. So am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment