Sunday, November 1, 2020

Typhoon Rolly and Climate Change


 

Naturally, with the coming of this Super Typhoon to Philippines, I've been pondering the effect climate change is having on tropical storms. For years I've read and heard that with the increased temperatures, the number and intensity of the storms will also increase. Recently, however, I heard a conservative pundit state that this idea had been "debunked".

Contradicting that conservative pundit we have this article:

How Climate Change May Be Impacting Storms Over Earth's Tropical Oceans:

"There’s no easy answer, says Joao Teixeira, co-director of the Center for Climate Sciences at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, and science team leader for the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS) instrument on NASA’s Aqua satellite. 'Within the scientific community it’s a relatively well-accepted fact that as global temperatures increase, extreme precipitation will very likely increase as well,' he says. 'Beyond that, we’re still learning.'
While there’s not yet a full consensus on the matter, in recent years a body of evidence linking extreme weather with climate change has begun to emerge. Evidence from satellites, aircraft, ground measurements and climate model projections are increasingly drawing connections. Quantifying those interconnections is a big challenge".


My take from the article is that, while it may not yet be settled, it's logical to assume that climate change is having some effect.

Assuming, for the sake of argument that storms are intensifying due to climate change, I see no solution in sight. There is very little chance that carbon emissions will decrease to acceptable levels. Fossil fuels are here to stay. The internal combustion engine will not vanish over night.

No one wants to voluntarily lower their standard of living - "it's ok for the other guy, but not for me" seems to be the general attitude.

I live as "carbon neutral" as I can get - I do very little driving and the little I do is to places near my house. I can't say that for the majority of people I know in the U.S.. Long commutes to and from work is common.

Our electricity on this island comes from a geothermal plant which emits little carbon dioxide, very low amounts of sulfur dioxide, and no nitrogen oxides. The same cannot be said for most people on the planet.

We try to use as many locally produced foodstuffs as we can. That cuts down on fuel costs, somewhat, but there are some items which we consider "must have" which come from other locations. That's certainly true for many people in the world. Just as it's too hot in Philippines to have locally produced cow's milk, it's too cold in the U.S. to grow bananas, coffee, tea and a million other items Americans want on their grocery store shelves.

As I said, no one wants to voluntarily lower their standard of living. It would take a planet wide, totalitarian government determined to alter lifestyles. In spite of what some of my more conservative friends may believe, I don't see that happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment