Monday, November 9, 2020

Facebook or Parler?

I wasn't aware of the social media site parler.com until I read about the platform on Matt Archbold's Facebook page. He's using his FB page to tell folks about his new account on Parler. I gather Matt believes there will be more freedom of speech and less censorship on Parler.com.

I like the idea of less censorship. I've had problems with Facebook banning my sorryalltheclevernamesaretaken blog.

I went to Parler.com this morning to set up an account. There were a few glitches in the process, but I put that down to an increase of new accounts. At first glance, I'm not overly impressed with what I found. Compared to Facebook, Parler seems a bit sparse. I'm not at all certain that I could convince many of my friends to sign up.

In fairness, it might be better to compare Parler to Twitter rather than Facebook. However, I for one have never seen the need for a Twitter account. Parler's claim to fame is their site is an alternative solution for people concerned about free speech on social media. Sadly, though, I have come upon one article that Parler isn't the bastion of free speech that it claims to be.

We'll see how this shakes out. As I said, I have an account on Parler.com but it remains to be seen just how much I'll use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment