Saturday, November 21, 2020

Our Lady of Fatima Center for Health and Wellness


About fifteen years ago, I first experienced the pain of sciatica. The pain was so excruciating that I was certain that I would become permanently disabled.

The physician who was treating me told me that a number of the discs in my spine were arthritic and one (at least) was touching the sciatic nerve. In so many words, he told me there was nothing he could do for me other than refer me to "Pain Management". There, I suppose I would receive the pain medication I'd need.

It was very difficult getting the appointment; it took several weeks. By the time my scheduled appointment arrived, the pain had thankfully gone away. Even though I was no longer in pain from the sciatica, I kept the appointment. The doctor in that department told me not to worry.....the pain would return.

I'm happy to say that for fifteen years, the doctor in Pain Management has been wrong. The pain did not return until just a few days ago.

I knew it would be of no use seeing a doctor here in Philippines - the doctors in the U.S. couldn't help, so I was sure the doctors here couldn't either.

My wife suggested massage, but I felt that the condition was beyond the expertise of the average massage therapist. I was looking for something else. It then occurred to me to try acupuncture. A quick search online brought up two acupuncture clinics located near me; the Mei Zen Wellness Institute & Clinic in Brgy. Daro and Our Lady of Fatima Center for Health and Wellness on the San Jose extension.

I had my wife call Mei Zen first, because it was closer and the hours were given as opening at 9:00 AM.... the sooner the better, I thought. The lady told my wife that her clinic was in her home and they were closed during the pandemic.

The call to Our Lady of Fatima Center was more productive.

The woman that owns the clinic has been doing acupuncture for fifty years. She told me she was now 66. I would need to have a thirty minute treatment each day for ten days - excluding Sundays. The cost would be 300 pesos (about $6) a session. I would also need to purchase the 40 needles needed for the treatments at 1000 pesos (about $20). From what I've gathered from the web, these 10 treatments would cost me the same as just one session in the U.S..

I had my second treatment this afternoon. I can see that it will take ten treatments, but I've already seen some improvement. Today, being Saturday, my next visit will be Monday. I should be finished by December 1.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment