Monday, February 28, 2022

There Will Be Time

The final book in the time travel series for February is Poul Anderson's There will Be Time . This book did not make the 23 Best Time Travel Sci-fi book list that I've been using, off and on. 23 seemed like a very strange number, so I added a few to my own list. I had chosen There will Be Time because another of Anderson's time travel books did make the list - Tau Zero .

One of the more unusual twists in the novel is that the protagonist, Jack Havig is able to travel through time, not by use of a machine or device, but due to his having a genetic mutation that allows him to move through time.

As a time travel novel, the book is about average.....not especially good, nor especially bad. I'd rate it on a par with The Anubis Gates ; not the best I've ever read, although it is much better than either The Thief of Time or Time Enough For Love .

Jack Havig travels thru the past, present and future. However, after 70% of the story, he leaves Earth, never to return and the story continues with the non-time traveling Maurai Foundation. I really couldn't get into this last 30%. I found the whole Maurai Foundation story boring. I would have preferred that Anderson left the Maurai out of this novel altogether. 

My time travel series for March will begin with Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife . This story also deals with a man who travels through time due to a genetic disorder. My next post will feature the entire list for February.

No comments:

Post a Comment