Friday, February 11, 2022

Blackout by Connie Willis

As I've mentioned before, I first came upon To Say Nothing of The Dog by Connie Willis when I started looking for Sci-fi novels on time travel and found it listed among "23 Best Time Travel Science Fiction Books". I hadn't realized at the time that the novel was the 2nd in a four part series by Willis.

I then went on to read the first in the series, The Doomsday Book .Fortunately, reading the 2nd book first, and the 1st book second didn't disrupt the flow of the series.

The same cannot be said of books three and four - Blackout and All Clear . Although published as two novels, the two are essentially one novel. The events in Blackout remain unresolved at the end of that volume.

The events chronicled in the two volumes take place during World War II. According to Wikipedia,Willis worked on the story for almost eight years - 2 years longer than the actual war. I'm on the second volume now. The two volumes together run more than 1,100 pages. I'm hoping it takes me less than eight years to finish. 

Obviously, I'll more to say once I've read the second volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment