Friday, February 4, 2022

To Say Nothing of The Dog

It was while reading The Anubis Gates , by Tim Powers that I decided that, for the next few months, I would concentrate on reading Sci-fi novels dealing with time travel . I had done something similar last year when I spent a month reading dystopian novels and a couple of months reading only mystery novels written by Agatha Christie.

I had happened upon a website containing "23 Best Time Travel Science Fiction Books"......a good place to start. I also added seven additional time travel novels, making my list thirty instead of 23. While still reading the Powers' ebook, I looked over the online list and decided my next time travel book would be To Say Nothing of The Dog  by Connie Willis. I had two reasons for picking this one. 1) It was the last one mentioned on the online list, and 2) I was especially impressed that the title of this book references another favorite of mine - Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men In a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog).

There's time travel back to the Victorian era with three men in a boat (to say nothing of the dog) and to the Coventry Blitz of 14 November 1940. It's part Sci-fi, part Mystery novel à la Hercule Poirot. One reviewer calls the book "hilarious". It is funny, and charming and witty although I rarely call anything "hilarious".
 

 I  had found a good deal of The Anubis Gates heavy,but quite the opposite with this book. I had given The Anubis Gates a rating of 3 stars out of 5, I'm giving To Say Nothing of The Dog ,the top rating of 5 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment