Wednesday, April 7, 2021

My Current Cycling Routine


 

It's been about 2 1/2 weeks since I bought my new bicycle and, for the most part, I've been riding every morning. There were a couple of days when I had a little congestion in my chest; naturally, I took a break those mornings.

Prior to buying this bicycle, it had been 40 years since I last rode. Through out the years, I've kept active. Until recently, my routine was walking two miles a day and weight training 4 days a week. I knew I wouldn't be able to zoom along for long distances any time soon, but I thought I was fitter than I actually am. It's been slow going.

I decided at the start that I would concentrate on improving my stamina and cardiovascular health. Rather than go thru several gears while biking, I've chosen to stay in basically one medium level gear.

The front chainrings have three gears, with an 8 speed cassette on the rear. I leave the front chainring in the medium "2nd" gear. Not too easy....not too hard. With the rear cassette, I keep in a gear which will allow medium resistance on a flat road. The side road leading into the Diversion Road has a slight incline. I don't adjust the gear going up this incline. I have a bit of difficulty going up, but I'd rather increase my stamina than make it easier.

Once on the Diversion Road, the road flattens out.....more or less. Looking at the road, I don't notice an incline, but I can feel the increased resistance peddling.

I have a predetermined stopping point where I will turn around and come home. On the way to that point, I'll rest for a moment or two. Usually three times. Once I turn around, heading home, I can feel the slight decline in the road. This slight decline allows me to coast a little. When the road does flatten out, the gear resistance is about perfect.

I know this doesn't sound very exciting. I'm seeing some slight improvement, but it continues to be a slow go.

No comments:

Post a Comment