Monday, April 12, 2021

Leaving a Facebook Group


I recently became a member of a private Facebook group which deals in photography. The name of the group is not important.

Although I haven't been a member for very long, I'm happy to say that a few of my photos have made it into the finals of some of the monthly contests. Unfortunately, I have decided to leave the group over editorial practices.

Last night, when posting into the "Human interest" category, I was notified that my photos would need approval before they would be accepted. This had never happened to me before, and I was a bit puzzled.

After a little investigation, I concluded that one or more of my earlier photos were deemed inappropriate. It appears that at least one of my photos was guilty of "poorism". I had no idea that such a word existed.

I had uploaded photos of homeless people living on the streets in Dumaguete. I believe that visual images of the way the homeless are treated in a community are important, even if those images put a bad light on the community.

While the owners of this page have every right to exclude any photo they choose, I also have the right to cancel my membership in this group. I will be cancelling my membership to this group today and will request that all my photos posted to their group be removed. 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment