Monday, April 12, 2021

Butchering The Beatles


I opened Spotify this morning with the idea of listening to some old Zappa music. I put on one of my favorites, One Size Fits All. I'm particularly fond of the song, Sofa, and while reading a wikipedia article this morning as I listened, I learned that Steve Vai had covered the song on a Zappa tribute album, Zappa's Universe. Although I was able to locate Vai's cover on Youtube, I was unable to locate the entire album on Spotify.

Looking thru Vai's albums on Spotify, I also scanned the "also appears on" section where I learned that Vai had appeared on a Beatles tribute album in 2006, Butchering the Beatles.

As I mentioned in my review of Al Di Meola's 2020 release of Beatles' material, I do not live in the center of the musical universe, and often an album is quite old when I discover it. That's certainly the case with Butchering the Beatles which I was able to listen to this morning on Spotify for the first time.

On the cover of the album, it says that it is a "headbashing tribute to the Beatles". I would have said "headbanging" rather than "headbashing" but what do I know? I'm an old fart, after all.

There are several musicians on this album - I'm sorry to say that most are unfamiliar to me. That doesn't get in the way of my appreciating the music, however.

If you're the sort that appreciates, loud, aggressive, head banging music - which I do on occasion - you're apt to love this album. I do.

The musicianship on this album is incredible. Instrumentally, each cut is, in my humble opinion, superior to the original Beatles' version. Unfortunately, not every vocal lives up to the music.

To Beatles purists, you may not particularly care for this album, but I loved it. The music is exactly what you'd expect from looking at the cover of the album. 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment