Monday, June 27, 2022

Punk Rocker to Renounce U.S. Citizenship over Roe v Wade

I have to make a confession right off the bat. I'm 70 years old and I had never heard of Billie Joe Armstrong or his punk rock band Green Day until I came upon the story of his recent declaration that he's renouncing his U.S. citizenship during London concert in wake of SCOTUS overruling Roe. Ho Hum.

He's hardly the first Liberal or Progressive to declare that he's leaving the U.S. because of his political disagreement with something going on in the United States. For those who don't know me, I left the U.S. in 2014 to live in Philippines. I did not do this for any political reason, and although I don't have plans to visit the country of my birth any time soon, I have absolutely no intention of renouncing my U.S.citizenship.

I was curious about Armstrong's situation, so I decided to look into his band and his bio. Does he have any idea how to go about renouncing his citizenship? It isn't as easy as just moving to the U.K..

First, I went to Spotify and immediately discovered that I had heard a few of the band's songs. I just didn't know who the performers were at the time. I'm not a big fan of punk rock, but I don't absolutely hate it. As far as music goes, I like Armstrong's singing but I don't see any originality or creativity gushing forth from his music. It's OK, but nothing special in my view.

I wonder, however, how much thought Armstrong has put into his idea to renounce his U.S. citizenship? I have no idea of his financial worth, but I imagine he could move to England without much difficulty. He could probably record whatever albums he plans to record in a studio in the U.K.. I'm sure his record label could work out the details. Touring, on the other hand might become a problem. Could he survive touring exclusively within the U.K.? If he's living in the U.K. he couldn't travel to the U.S. or Europe without his U.S. passport. Is he really renouncing his citizenship if he travels on a U.S. passport? Using your U.S. passport when you fly from London to the U.S. is pretty much an admission that you're still an American.

Of course, the problem of traveling on a U.S. passport is moot if and when he obtains a British passport. Assuming he packs up and moves to the U.K. today, he'll need to reside in the U.K. for five years before he can apply for citizenship. I don't know about immigration laws in the U.K., but here in Philippines, I have to check in with the government every year....and I'm a legal resident. I have to present my valid U.S. passport when I do. If the situation in the U.K. is anywhere near being similar, Armstrong will have to provide his valid passport from time to time. Again, he's back to having to show he's a citizen of the U.S.. It sort of makes his renunciation of his U.S. citizenship a little more complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment