Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Slaughterhouse-Five

Of the books listed in the 23 Best Time Travel Science Fiction Books, Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut is one of the only three books I'd read prior to coming upon the list. It's been more than 50 years since I first read the book and most of the details I remember from that early reading are probably actually memories from the 1972 film.

When I read the novel as a teenager, Vonnegut was my favorite writer - he's no longer that, but I've come upon quite a few more great writers since my teen years so that change of opinion is to be expected. Still, Slaughterhouse-Five rates very high in my view of the time travel books I've read recently.

Of the 18 time travel books I've read since the first of February, there are three which are in a very close tie for first place - To Say Nothing of The Dog ,The Time Traveler's Wife and now Slaughterhouse-Five . My only objection to Slaughterhouse-Five is Vonnegut's over-use of the phrase "So it goes" when a death is mentioned in the novel.Otherwise, it's certainly worth a read (or reread).

No comments:

Post a Comment