Saturday, March 12, 2022

Three Time Travel Novels


Although I haven't written a post since my review of The Time Traveler's Wife , I am still on my quest to read only Sci-Fi novels pertaining to time travel for the next few months. Since finishing that review, I've read Tourmalin's Time Cheques by F. Anstey,The Langoliers by Stephen King and The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North.

As none of these three impressed me as much as The Time Traveler's Wife , I'm having a difficult time writting a separate post for each individual book. So, this post will feature all three in one.

Tourmalin's Time Cheques can only be loosely categorized as "time travel" (and not Sci-Fi at all). F. Anstey was best known for his humorous parodies in Punch magazine.Tourmalin's Time Cheques is basically a fantasy novel written in F. Anstey's typical humorous style. Written in 1891, the book appeals to those of us who can appreciate the humor of the Victorian era. Not everyone can. I found the ending a bit cheesy - one reviewer found the portions of the story trite. Heck, the book was written in 1891 and those portions may not have been looked on as trite 130 years ago. Overall, I enjoyed the book.

The Langoliers is one of four novellas contained in a collection by King entitled Four Past Midnight. Not Stephen King's best. OK, but no prize.

A good deal of Claire North's The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August takes place in Russia. The story doesn't follow the pattern of a typical Russian story of Tolstoy or Dostoevsky; it's more like the stories of Yevgeny Zamyatin or Mikhail Bulgakov. I certainly don't have a problem with that, although I found the story to be a little long. It could have been resolved much earlier. Although not my favorite in the time travel genre, I liked the novel well enough to download other novels by North.

No comments:

Post a Comment