Sunday, May 16, 2021

Wonderwall


 

In 1968, George Harrison released his debut solo album, Wonderwall Music  - the soundtrack to the film, Wonderwall.

This particular album was both the first solo musical project by any of the Beatles, and the first LP released by Apple Records.

Being a 16 year old George Harrison fan, I purchased a copy of the album. I dare say that I know of no one else among my friends or acquaintances who did likewise, and even though I was the ultimate Harrison fan, I found the LP a bit bizarre. That's saying quite a lot coming from someone who was also a big fan of the Mothers of Invention.

There were parts of the album that the then 16 year old could appreciate. I truly wanted to see the film.....thinking it may help me further appreciate the work. Unfortunately, I was living in a small town in Georgia - north of Atlanta and just south of Chattanooga TN - so obviously I was never going to have an opportunity to see the film.

I was thinking of the film and soundtrack yesterday and decided to see if the film was available online. I found the film at the ok.ru website and watched it for the first time last night.

Needless to say, the film simply drips of 60's psychedelia.

I'm going to have to give the film a very positive rating. The music - while bizarre and disconnected as an LP - suits the film perfectly. The film and the soundtrack belong together as a complete unit. One part cannot be fully appreciated without the other. Anyone interested in the culture of the late 1960's should give the film the once over.

No comments:

Post a Comment