Monday, May 10, 2021

Chronicles of Barsetshire

As regular readers of this blog are aware, my reading list for this past April consisted entirely of novels dealing with a dystopian theme. Those same readers should also know that the final novel on that list was The Fixed Period by Anthony Trollope. Prior to this, I had never heard of this English novelist of the Victorian era. However, I was so impressed with The Fixed Period, I wanted to learn more about Mr. Trollope.

His best known work is a series of novels collectively known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire. I immediately downloaded all six novels in the series from Project Gutenberg and began reading the first in the series, The Warden , on the first day of this month. As I write this, I've finished the first and second (Barchester Towers ) and about 25% of the third novel in the series, Doctor Thorne .

The first two in the series deal with of the coming and goings of a small group of Church of England clergymen in the fictional city of Barchester - particularly Mr Septimus Harding (the Warden of Hiram's Hospital in book one) and his sons -in-law.

Several characters appear in both novels, although two characters from book one are killed off by Trollope, with a few new characters appearing in the second novel.

As much as I enjoyed the first two novels in the series, I didn't think Trollope could pull off writing six novels on these same characters. Fortunately, the series takes a turn with the third novel dealing with a local physician, Doctor Thomas Thorne.

So far, the only negative thing I can say about the series is the concentration on English social class structure in the Victorian era. At this point, I can't tell if Trollope is for it, or against it.

Never the less, I'm enjoying my stroll around Barsetshire and I'm looking forward to the next three in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment