Wednesday, May 26, 2021

A Disappointing Novel

I really don't like the idea of my giving up on reading a particular novel once I've started, but I may make an exception with the 4th novel in Anthony Trollope's Chronicles of Barsetshire series, Framley Parsonage. It feels like I'm been struggling with it for ages, although I'm only 49% in.

Many of the characters appearing in Framley Parsonage are familiar, having been introduced in earlier novels. Unfortunately, those making a reappearance seem less developed than they had been in the earlier works.

Trollope seems to have run out of ideas for plots by this point as well. There are differences, of course, but in Framley Parsonage we are given a rehash with a main character being deeply in debt, and an unrequited love between two characters who are in different social classes.

I'll give the novel one more chance today. If it can't hold my interest much longer, I'll switch to another novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment