Friday, March 12, 2021

Richard Thompson (Musician)


Sitting at the PC, surfing Spotify. Spotify has recommendations...called Daily Mixes. One in particular, for me was a mixed called "Classic Acoustic"; not Classical music as one might think, but acoustic from my old fart era of the late 60's.

The first two songs were obvious for this genre - "Norwegian Wood" by The Beatles and "America" by Simon and Garfunkel. The third song on the list was unknown to me. "1952 Vincent Black Lightening" by Richard Thompson. Not only was the song unknown to me, but so was the artist.

Looking at the Wikipedia page for Richard Thompson I was a little surprised that I knew nothing of him. He's definitely from my era. He's just three years older than I and reasonably well known - probably more in England than the U.S..

Rather than stay on the acoustic mix on Spotify, I went to the Spotify overview for Thompson. There, I found a mix of ten of his songs. It's quite entertaining. There are Folk and Rock elements to his music, although much of it sounds like it's crying out for bagpipe.

His vocals put me in mind of Gordon Lightfoot, but more authentic. Maybe a love-child of Lightfoot and David Byrne, if such a thing were possible.

One of his Spotify top ten songs is his cover of "Oops! I did it again." That was the biggest surprise of the day, and that's putting it mildly.

I'll be exploring Thompson's catalogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment