Sunday, April 12, 2020

Scammers and Spammers



Several years ago, I spend a good deal of my spare time goofing on scammers. I would take emails that were obviously from scammers and using email accounts created on Yahoo mail, I would respond to the scammer and see how long I could mess with him. These misadventures where chronicled at the time on my other blog, Sorry all the clever names are taken. All of these posts can be accessed using the label scammers on that blog.

The last chronicle of any consequence involved a scammer calling himself Capt. Eddie Shields. In my email exchanges with this particular scammer, I was using characters like Misty Meaner and Wanda Tuinphro to scam the scammer. I had even used a website I had at the time to create phony news stories. The photo at the beginning of this post is a screen shot from one of those phony stories where Misty Meaner was involved in a traffic accident with a donut delivery truck that was being pursued by hungry police officers. While the blog entries are still available, the phony news site can no longer be accessed.

I eventually lost interest in scamming the scammers. The obit on my desire to keep goofing on them can be found on my post, Death of the (Reasonably) Intelligent E-mail Scammer.

I received a spam email today from an especially stupid scammer. A screenshot of his email follows below:



Although my information has been redacted, this is essentially the email I received. I'll let this screenshot speak for itself, with no further editorial comment on this scammer's intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment