Saturday, September 30, 2023

The Reading List for September 2023


 

Reviews for two of the books read in September - The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle and Harlem Shuffle - can, of course be read by clicking on their respective links.

As I mentioned in the post on Harlem Shuffle, I had come across that book by following a link to the 9 Books you Must Read in 2023. I had already placed that book into the queue for September when I heard a recommendation for the sequel, Crook Manifesto on the Commentary Magazine podcast. Finding Harlem Shuffle one of the best of the "nine books", I put the sequel next in line in the queue. Colson Whitehead is a wonderful writer and I highly recommend both books.

Book # 4 for September is another recommendation from the Commentary Magazine podcast. - Social Justice Fallacies by the incomparable Thomas Sowell. Sowell is an important figure in the conservative movement, having written more than fifty books. Social Justice Fallacies was published this year. An amazing accomplishment for someone in his 90s.

I can recommend three of the four books that I read this month - The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle wasn't horrible. I just felt it didn't live up to the hype.

The list for September, 2023.

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle               by Stuart Turton
Harlem Shuffle                                                  by Colson Whitehead
Crook Manifesto                                               by Colson Whitehead
Social Justice Fallacies                                    by Thomas Sowell

No comments:

Post a Comment