Tuesday, September 19, 2023

The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

I recently came upon an ad on Facebook for an audio book version of  The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton (also known as The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle in the U.K.) I immediately did a web search and found quite a few good reviews for the book. The wikipedia article of the book says the novel won the Best First Novel prize in the 2018 Costa Book Awards and reached number one on The Saturday Times Bestseller list and number five on The Sunday Times Bestseller list.

 Seeing such high praise, I went to my "go to" place for free e books and downloaded a copy.

Sadly, I was not impressed with the book. I found the book unnecessarily complicated and the writer's use of multiple character incarnations gimmicky. There were interesting parts, but overall, I thought the book was not worth my time (as they might say on the The Dispatch Podcast). I'd recommend you skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment