Wednesday, May 10, 2023

The Lost World - Arthur Conan Doyle


 

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, Kindle is my e-book reader of choice, although I've downloaded a different e-reader app to my phone to use when the Kindle isn't the optimum choice (like when there's a brownout and it's too dark to read the Kindle's screen). I have transferred e-books to my phone on occasion but I'm more likely to read one of the free public domain books included with the app.

I read one of these pubic domain books in April (A Journey to the Center of the Earth. by Jules Verne) Actually, I found this particular e-book disappointing. That being said, you'd think I'd steer clear of another public domain adventure novel, but I decided to take a chance on Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World.

Published in 1912, the book tells of an expedition to a plateau in the Amazon basin of South America where prehistoric animals were alleged to have survived. Two scientists (Professor Challenger - Professor Summerlee) a newspaper reporter (Edward Malone) and an "adventurer" (Lord John Roxton) make up the group.

Of course, we know there are no pterodactyls, dinosaurs or "ape men" in South America, but the story is better than you might imagine. I certainly enjoyed it more than Jules Verne's book.

Ok, it is hardly the greatest Sci-fi novel of all time, but it's entertaining in a lighthearted way.

No comments:

Post a Comment