Wednesday, November 30, 2022

The November, 2022 Reading List

Today is the final day of the month and time to post yet another monthly reading list. Like other recent book lists, the list for this month has fewer books than what had been a normal amount for me over the past few years.

At least, I was able to complete Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Wimsey series. Prior to book six in the series - The Five Red Herrings - it appeared that I would finish the 11 books in the series rather quickly. However, as I wrote previously, I didn't care for book six and had decided to take a break from Lord Wimsey for a spell. On November 1, I started back on the series with Have His Carcase.

I've been more or less neutral on the series with books seven, eight, nine, and ten. I found the final book, Busman's Honeymoon to be my favorite among the eleven, although it's not without flaws. The book seemed to flow faster than many of the others, although there were sections of the book which I thought were unnecessary. Of course, I understand the need to highlight Wimsey's new bride, Harriet Vane. It is titled Busman's Honeymoon after all. But I found Sayers' concentration on the marriage over the mystery story trying. I also didn't care for Sayers overloading the final chapters with correspondence written in French.

We learn the identity of the killer in Chapter XX so the continuation of the book for 3 more chapters seemed like a waste to me.

I mentioned in Monday's post that in Busman's Honeymoon , Lord Wimsey's mother writes in her diary about her attempt to read a book entitled The Stars Look Down . This book will be the first book read in December. I've learned that the third novel by Toshikazu Kawaguchi, Before Your Memory Fades , has been released. I'm hoping to obtain a copy for the December queue. Wish me luck.

Now, for the list - all written by Dorothy L.Sayers:

Have His Carcase
Murder Must Advertise
The Nine Tailors
Gaudy Night
Busman's Honeymoon

No comments:

Post a Comment