Friday, July 29, 2022

Whose Body?

Being retired, I have quite a good deal of free time on my hands. Fortunately for me, I have several hobbies to occupy my time, one hobby being reading ebooks on my Kindle. Some might even say I spend an inordinate amount of time reading. One need only look at my monthly book lists to see that I read about 10 or 12 ebooks a month.

Thanks to the wonders of the Internet, I found several websites which allow me to download, without cost, more than enough ebooks to keep me in reading material. Another of my hobbies, or habits if you like, is to download any book that takes my fancy and store the mobi on a flash drive. I hesitate to give a number for the ebooks I have stashed away.

Normally, I will pick out several ebooks I'd like to read for the month and place copies of the mobi into a file on my PC. I'll transfer a few at a time to my Kindle.

I mentioned in an earlier blogpost that my original intention for July was to read four books by Egyptian writer Naguib Mahfouz. I set the ebooks into my file, along with a few more ebooks by other writers that I planned to read in July. As I wrote before, I found Mahfouz' Children of Our Alley a very difficult book to get thru; I saw right away that I would not be able to finish all the ebooks I had set aside for July. I had wanted to read (or rather, re-read) The Magus by John Fowles, but I was sure it would not be a quick read.

As luck would have it, a Facebook friend came to the rescue. He mentioned that he had just finished reading Whose Body? by Dorothy Sayers and by his description of the book, it seemed like the ideal read for me to finish out the month of July. I had managed to download and then upload to my flash drive several ebooks by Dorothy Sayer and it was just a matter of uploading Whose Body? to my Kindle.

In his post on the book, Larry D wrote,
First in the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery series by Dorothy Sayers. Light hearted and well-paced, this clever whodunit is written in a style evocative of Wodehouse - not in a madcap humorous way, but with quick wit and memorable characters. Wooster and Jeeves wouldn't have been out of place. Looking forward to reading additional titles.

He was right. Lighthearted, well paced and clever is a perfect description. Like Larry, I have plans to read more of Sayers' work.......not in August, however. That month has already been set earmarked for reading books on the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

No comments:

Post a Comment