Thursday, May 12, 2022

All My Sins Remembered - Joe Haldeman

In March, while reading Sci-Fi novels pertaining to time travel, I read Joe Haldeman's The Accidental Time Machine. This was my first time reading anything written by the veteran science fiction writer, and in my blog post on the novel, I said that I had enjoyed the humor in the beginning, but I was disappointed at how the story had devolved into a "cautionary tale" involving a scientist/atheist time traveler who confronts a Christian theocracy. I found Haldeman's dig against religion unnecessary.

In spite of that, I enjoyed enough of  The Accidental Time Machine to read one of Haldeman's non-time travel Sci-Fi books.

For that, I choose Haldeman's 1977 military science fiction novel, All My Sins Remembered.

In many ways, I found the earlier work to be superior. With one exception, however. 30 years before The Accidental Time Machine, Haldeman had the need to find a way to have his anti-religion dig.

The book tells the story of Otto McGavin, a Prime Operator for the Confederacion who undergoes "immersion therapy & hypnotic personality overlay" when going undercover for the Confederacion's secret service, the TBII.

In many ways, it seems like the novel is a trilogy of short story adventures. I enjoyed the book, although I might have enjoyed it a bit more had Otto McGavin's third mission involved someone other than a wayward Catholic priest.

No comments:

Post a Comment