Wednesday, December 16, 2020

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea - the Film.

In spite of the location and setting being very different, the plot of the 1976 film, The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea doesn't stray too terribly far from the novel by Yukio Mishima. Being made in 1976, I can understand why the film's producers may have felt that having the film take place in England - with well known actors - rather than in Japan, may have been a better move from a commercial viewpoint. Personally, I would rather the film adaptation take place in Japan, with Japanese actors.

I could very well cope with English subtitles.

I didn't care for Kris Kristofferson in the film. I never found him to be a credible actor, and his eye makeup in this film was too distracting for me.

The film version wasn't bad  but I don't know if I would have gone on to read the novel had I seen the film first. To me, the novel compares favorably to one of my favorite novels - Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. This film, however, certainly doesn't rate as one of my favorite films.

No comments:

Post a Comment