Sunday, June 23, 2024

High Rising by Angela Thirkell


 

I was recently browsing a Canadian website which offers ebooks that are in the Canadian public domain, fadedpage.com and came across an author of whom I was unfamiliar - Angela Thirkell. I discovered that Thirkell had written 27 novels based on the fictional county of Barsetshire created by Anthony Trollope (although 4 of the 27 are unavailable for download). I've recently finished reading Trollope's Barsetshire Chronicles and was curious to see what Thirkell had added.

High Rising (1933) is listed as book one in Thirkell's Barsetshire series, although, frankly I don't understand why. I read in a Goodreads review that the two villages in the novel (High Rising and Low Rising) are located in Barsetshire but I found no mention of Barsetshire in the book. I certainly don't recall either High Rising or Low Rising being mentioned in any of Trollope's books and no descendants of the families from Trollope's work are in High Rising.

Never the less, I did enjoy the novel. Thirkell was a good writer and the book is mildly amusing and I'm looking forward to reading more from Thirkell's series in the months to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment