Tuesday, April 9, 2024

The Ring Series by Koji Suzuki - Book Three - "Loop".


 

Having finished books 1 and 2 in Koji Suzuki's Ring series, rather than go immediately to book 3, I took a detour with Ken Grimwood's Replay. In my earlier post on the Ring series I said that there will be more to follow once I'd read the remaining books. That time has come.

The Ring series was originally conceived as a trilogy - with a collection of short stories coming in 1999 to put an end to the series. More than 20 years after the first book in the trilogy was written, 2 more novels were written in 2012 and 2013. I've read the 3rd book making up the original trilogy; the additional books will come later. If Suzuki could wait 20 years, I can put them off for a bit.

Loop begins very differently than the first two. Ring and Spiral have both been described as Japanese horror/mystery novels - and they are that - Loop however, fits more into the Sci -fi genre. No horror at all, as I see it. It is so different that I could not see how the stories could be related - at least until I was 30% into the book. Even when I couldn't find a connection, I was still enthralled; and when I finished reading the book, I was all the more impressed with Suzuki's talent as a writer and storyteller.

As usual, I'm not inclined to give spoilers; I will say that I can highly recommend this trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment