Tuesday, November 30, 2021

The November Reading List

When I first looked at the final reading list for the month of November, I thought that,compared with previous months, the list this month seemed a bit sparse. After looking over the lists posted for the past 10 months, it turns out that the nine books I read this month is actually fairly close to my monthly average. There were some months, while I was reading strictly Agatha Christie mystery novels, when the totals were rather high, but this was due to the her novels being relatively speedy reading.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a bit of difficulty with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago and had to abandon it. I had managed to get into the habit of finishing every book I start, regardless of how much I dislike the book, but couldn't continue with Solzhenitsyn's book. It really was a drudge.

A few months back, I discovered a website which allowed me to download books that were more current than my usual fare from Project Gutenberg. Having finished To Rescue the Republic: Ulysses S. Grant, the Fragile Union, and the Crisis of 1876  by Bret Baier and Catherine Whitney, I downloaded a book written by another Fox News associate, Jesse Watters - How I Saved the World . I like seeing Watters on TV, but I wasn't really expecting much from his book. However, I was pleasantly surprised. It's a nice read.

From the list, one will find two by Dr. Jordan B. Peterson. The second - Beyond Order was a more difficult read for me than his earlier book.

The next three books on my list were recommended by Dr. Peterson.

I learned of Eric Metaxas from a Babylon Bee video. I found his Is Atheism Dead? uneven. His science seemed, to this non-scientist, logical but his claim that archeology proves that Christianity is true wasn't convincing.

I came upon Mustafa Akyol in a Youtube video with Dr. Peterson. His The Islamic Jesus does a great job at explaining the Muslim view of Jesus.

Of course, anyone who follows this blog knows my last post covered Kafka on the Shore.

So, now, here is the list of books I read in November 2021.

How I Saved the World   Jesse Watters
12 Rules for Life    Jordan B. Peterson
Orphan X   Gregg Hurwitz
The Rape Of Nanking   Iris Chang
Lord of the Flies   William Golding
Beyond Order   Jordan B. Peterson
Is Atheism Dead?   Eric Metaxas
The Islamic Jesus   Mustafa Akyol
Kafka on the Shore   Haruki Murakami

No comments:

Post a Comment